Monday, January 12, 2009

Snow Days


Here in the Buckeye State we had ourselves some snow this past weekend. Now, this was not an extraordinary snow or anything. It was just white, fluffy accumulation that meant that Evelyn could break in her snow suit (which turned out to be WAY to warm for 25 degrees) and learn some snow playing skills.

As I have mentioned before she does have a new found love for the white stuff so it really took Leslie hardly any time at all to convince her to get outside. So, on Saturday, while I headed out to spend a day with Jodi, Les and Ev stayed at home and played in the snow. This was the day she tried to wear her new purple snowsuit but, it was just too hot. On Sunday, we all headed out to play. There were wonderful piles of snow and plenty of fresh snow to crunch. We were all having a great time and I was watching Ev thinking "man she is really playing hard". She continued to play hard, jumping and falling and running and climbing big snow piles.....and then she started coughing and swallowing.....then she groaned.... and then she threw up! yes, she played so hard and was so excited- she puked!!! Really?!!?

"Playing so hard they puke" , that's one of those things that no one tells you when you are a new Mom or are expecting a kidnic. Nope, no one tells you that. Other things they don't tell you? Exactly how much you will stain treat chocolate milk out of brand new shirts that have been worn for approximately 45 seconds, how many cookies you will buy just to hear "oh I luv luv luv these kinds of cookies Mama", that ANY scrape or bump requires a "first aid kit" and band aid-where was I? oh yes the puking....

so okay. Evelyn is the WORST puker in history! Just let me say that. She is diametrically opposed to the whole, leaning over so the recycled salsa and chips doesn't run right down your front and puddle on your boots. I thought it was instinct or something to lean forward when you are vomiting-apparently it's a learned skill? This means that instead of being able to gently coo at her and say things like "it's okay honey, mama's here- you'll be fine just get it out" I end up going " OhMyGod Gross, just lean over! ew. Just lean over!!!!! EV-AH-LIN!!!! LEAN OVER!!!!! AGGGHHHH! Nasty!!!! Just lean over- put it in the snow! In the snow! EW! no don't turn to me, lean over for heaven's sake. OH! You are the worst puker ever! Just lean over!!! OH my GAWD!!!! LEAN OVER!!!!!" guess what? I had to come in and do a bunch of laundry. Somehow I managed to whisper to Les to take a picture- I am nothing if not sympathetic.

I brought Ev in. Cleaned her up. Helped her brush her teeth, gave her a children's tums (which made the whole thing worthwhile to her) and had her sit quietly for about 20 minutes. Then I hauled her into the kitchen and sat her on the counter with a steaming mug of hot chocolate to further facilitate recovery.

That was our weekend of snow. Next weekend we are buying a sled!

No comments: