Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Hillbilly Stain

For months now, my car has had an oil leak. A very bad oil leak. So everywhere I parked, I would leave behind a huge, black hillbilly stain on the pavement. This is no big deal in public lots but my driveway was becoming a nightmare and I never wanted to park in the driveways of friends and family - it was a nuisance. Then there was the added problem of having to constantly be checking the oil and refilling it, knowing that if we forgot, the engine could fail entirely. It was stressful and expensive. This leak was so bad that an hours worth of driving may lead to the car being down and entire quart of oil- or two. It was the "Rear Main Seal".
I refuse to try and get technical here(umm because I can't). Let's just say that it was a minor problem that required MAJOR work to reach and fix. It was literally a job of a few minutes that would require HOURS of manual labor to reach and then HOURS to out everything back.
We checked on the cost of a shop repair- two thousand dollars. TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS!! Really.
The alternative to the big cash lay out was to find a great at home mechanic that had the tools and the know how and the heart to help us out. Where would one find such a person?
Smokewood, that's where. Jack to the rescue.
He worked for what was literally a week straight on that thing. The cost was under $200.
When he was done, his neck and back were sore, his arthritis in is hands was hurting and I think it will take a few more days for him to get fully rested. But he did it. The old man still has it. Now, Leslie was there helping for the big parts and when we were there, Les and Dad worked together for hours at a time getting that car apart and back together. But the real star is Dad.
I have spent my life watching that man work on cars, I have been underneath the vehicles, "assisted" in only the way that little girls can help their Daddy's. I have gone to the parts stores with him. I will never stop being amazed at the way Dad can work magic on busted cars. From what I understand this job even required the use of floral wire! And there was much talk of Newton Meters.
Thanks Dad.
We owe you one.

No comments: